Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bread Pudding: Really? I Love This?

I vaguely remember not liking bread pudding as a child, so I figured that was probably still true.  But I got this great loaf of cinnamon raisin bread at the farmer's market last week, and after one round of fantastic French toast, I really wanted to make bread pudding with the rest.  I figured, it would be French toasty, but also like a spongey cake.  MMMmmmm...  It was heaven.

Here's how I made it:

Ingredients:
half of a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, cut into cubes (the bread I had was already pretty dry, but you could dry it out if you have moist bread to start with)

1 cup soy creamer (I know, right?)
1 1/3 cups soy milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

2-3 Tbsp Earth Balance butter
about 3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 raisins (I recently discovered the O Organics brand from Carrs/Safeway that come in the ziplock package are the juiciest raisins I've ever had)\
Cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 10 by 10 pan (I use spray coconut oil and it works great for nonstick and doesn't leave a strong flavor).  Toss cubes of bread into pan.  Whisk the wet ingredients (not butter and syrup) until completely combined.  Sprinkle the raisins over the top of the bread and then pour the liquid on top.  Press your bread down with your hands until all the bread is moist.  It should bounce back when you let go, but it will be wet.  Drizzle the maple syrup over the top.  Place pats of butter in about half tsp amounts over the top and then sprinkle with cinnamon.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Then remove the cover and bake for another 10-15 minutes depending on how crispy you want the top.

This was an awesome desert and we had leftovers for breakfast.  If, like me, you aren't a regular bread pudding fan, this might convert you.

No comments:

Post a Comment