Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Miso Soup Gravy

I recently received some Miso-Cup vegetable soup.  I was thinking about those packets of gravy mix, and when I saw the instant miso soup mix, I thought that would make a great gravy base.  I already had a stuffing in the oven, and while a gravy made with the same Not Chick'n bouillon that I had used in the gravy would have been fine, the umami of miso gravy sounded even better.  This was so easy, but had a really great complex umami taste that paired perfectly with stuffing.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 packet of Miso-Cup Delicious Golden Vegetable Soup

2 Tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
2 Tbsp flour

pepper to taste (you do NOT need salt with this, just add the pepper)

In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter and then mix in the flour to make a roux.  Combine the packet and water and add a bit at a time while stirring constantly.  Stir and let simmer for another 5 minutes or so and you have your gravy.  I like mine peppery, so I added freshly ground black pepper.  This isn't a thick gravy, but if you like yours thicker you can add a bit more flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment