Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Teese Vegan Cheese

Violet and I had the pleasure of sampling some of Chicago Soydairy's Creamy Cheddar Teese this week and I just have to say it:  ooey gooey.  When my teese arrived in a sausage tube (sorry, but that's the image I have with this particular packaging), I was a little concerned.  It felt liquid in the tube and I was sure it was going to be a watery and flavorless sauce.  I can now say, with a bit of a scoff at my preconceived notions, LOL.

In the interest of purity, I followed the instructions on the tube to make a special treat for my poor little health foodie baby who gets mac and cheese only in the form of Jerusalem artichoke pasta or homemade pesto.  I got out the quinoa elbow mac and cooked it up right with some cheesy sauce.

The first thing I noticed as the sauce warmed with the pasta is that it not only thickened like my homemade cornstarch-based sauces, but it was stretchy and gooey like dairy cheese.  Also, the flavor had a great tang that I think I recall cheddar tasting like (it's been a while, so forgive me if I'm off).  There's definitely a tang different from other vegan cheeses though, of that I am sure.  It was delicious, and I highly recommend it.

But you don't have to take my word for it (I home Reading Rainbow doesn't have that trademarked...).  Violet was a huge fan.  I haven't seen her eat anything so voraciously since I gave her her first cookie.
Carefully using the fork.  After she tasted how good it was, this quickly was replaced by fist fulls to the mouth.

Right after a fist full.  Note the lovely orange all over her face.

Quinoa mac for added protein with green beans and apples.  It was a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment