Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Field Roast Vegan Sausages

I have heard this term tossed around a lot lately, and I think it applies here: nom nom. I love the Field Roast sausages. And, what's more, they are easy for me to get in the regular grocery store. They don't require any special trip, but offer such a special taste.

So far I've tried the Italian and Chipotle flavors and both have been great. They have a lot of flavor going on, and I can just picture Guy Fieri saying, "That's out of bounds." I like to put the Chipotle ones in my "mom meal."
The mom meal is something I came up with toward the end of my pregnancy when I just couldn't really be bothered to think about what I was going to eat. The "mom meal" is when I take a Field Roast sausage and whatever veggies I have in the crisper (good choices include; onion, zucchini, broccoli stems, kale, etc.) and I saute these until nicely browned. Then, I add brown rice and coat with the oil and add a little more oil than is called for. I let it come to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover for about 40 minutes. When it's done, I add nutritional yeast liberally over the top and add chopped fresh tomato if available. The rich flavor of the sausage gives the whole pilaf-like meal so much flavor.

For the Italian sausage, I made vegan gnocci from the recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance and just made a simple red sauce using sausage and canned tomatoes with some capers and kalamata olives to make it putanesca-ish.

Both these sausages mimic the flavor, fat, and texture of real sausage incredibly well. The delightful difference is that these sausages have vegetable derived oils instead of animal fat in them. As my husband pointed out, they are still greasy. It's a great grease though, and it makes for better cooking.

I have the chicken apple flavor in the freezer waiting for me when I'm ready for more sampling.

No comments:

Post a Comment