Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fishless Sticks: Take 1

Oh bother. I'm posting this because it is a cautionary tale for others. I would not recommend making this recipe as it stands, but the flavors are good, so feel free to steal the idea and improve upon it.

Fishless Sticks

Ingredients:
1/2 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
1 cup hot water
1 tsp kelp granules (I used Braggs and found them in the spice section at the health food store)
1-2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 flax eggs (6 tbsp water and 2 tbsp flax meal left to set for a few minutes together)

Combine all ingredients but flax egg and let sit for about 10 minutes or until TVP is soft/chewy and has soaked up the water. While this is happening I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and thought about how I knew these wouldn't hold together, flax egg be damned. I thought that if I had some leftover mashed potatoes, that would make a great binder. But I didn't. I got out a cookie sheet with a silpat mat (foil would work too) and formed my mixture into fingers/sticks the size of a good puffy ladyfinger cookie. I got 6 sticks from this recipe. I baked them for 25 minutes until they were brown and crispy on the outside.

When I took them off the mat, they were a bit crumbly and aren't holding together well, but the flavor is nice. Next time I'll try it with potatoes or something to bind it. Feel free to comment with ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment