Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Quinoa Loaf and Ketchup Gravy

Last week, I made the most amazing quinoa loaf that heralded in the Spring that just won't show up perfectly.  I got the recipe from a Whole Food app I have on my phone.  The recipe can be found here.  I will admit that I did not wait the recommended amount of time before turning it out of the pan and slicing and I ended up with quinoa pilaf.  Sadness, but delicious sadness none the less.

With this, I made Ketchup Gravy.  This is quite possibly the greatest invention I have ever devised.  If I did not invent this, please let me know.  I'm walking around with a big head here thinking this is all mine.  The idea came to me because I wanted a gravy to go with the quinoa loaf as it's a little dry, but I kept thinking back in those taste memory receptors of my grandmother's meatloaf that she would cook basted in a liberal coating of ketchup.  The solution satisfied both desires.

Ketchup Gravy

1 Tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance Organic for me)
1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (who knew you could make gravy with whole wheat flour?)
1 cup veg broth
2 Tbsp ketchup

In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter then add the flour and stir together.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Once it starts to thicken, add ketchup and continue to stir constantly.  Pepper to taste (I didn't need salt with the ketchup in it).  Keep simmering until it's the desired thickness (it will thicken a bit more once it cools).  It's so yummy as has that great ketchup-y flavor, but also tastes like gravy.  Very good for a weirdo like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment