Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Gluten and Sugar free Cowboy Cookies

I have been trying to make the perfect sugar free cookie, and for me this is it! This is a great cookie for people with allergies, excluding pecans of course. I love pecans so much though.

Makes about 10 cookies. I usually make small batches of cookies, so that I don't end up with a bunch of cookies just sitting around the house. I have a small family and don't need 2 dozen cookies in my house ever.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup hot water
6-10 dates (depending on size/sweetness/your taste)
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 vegan chocolate chips or chunks per cookie

In a food processor, pulse the pecans, coconut, and oats while the dates soak in the hot water. Once the items in the food processor are nice and sandy- textured, add the water and dates. Pulse until completely mixed. Add coconut oil, baking soda, and salt and pulse a few more times until completely combined. Use a tablespoon to scoop balls of dough onto a cookie sheet with parchment or silpat mat. Place 3-4 chocolate chips (I used Tropical Source, which have evaporated cane juice as a sweetener) on each cookie. Then press them down with your hand. They won't spread during cooking, so you can put them close together. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the sides are slightly browned.

These end up a bit cakey, but I am in love with them and so pleased with the great sweetness and texture without flour or sugar. They are a little crumbly, so I might add a tablespoon of flax meal next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment