Sunday, March 3, 2013

St. Patricks Day is Coming! Gluten-Free and Green?

I just got an email from some business telling me Happy St. Patrick's Day.  Am I the only one whose freckles just buzz with delight over St. Patrick's Day?  I feel like green foods and vegans are just natural friends.  It doesn't hurt that I've got a delightful little red head who is just in the last few months the proud owner of her own freckles.
If you catch her, she has to grant you three wishes.  Good luck catching her though.


In previous years, I've made a seitan or soy curl mixture that I "corned" with typical corned beef flavor. This year, I'm going to have to find a gluten-free delight.  It's really about the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage anyway.  I've been cruising lentil loaf on Pinterest, and I think that's going to be the perfect vehicle for my "corned" spices.

I found some sorghum beer, since I've read that gluten stays in your system for a long time and I'm still nursing, so green beer can still be on the menu.  I don't think any Guiness is vegan, and I know it's not gluten-free... so that's out of the question.

What else?  What are your St. Patty's traditions?


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Erin, thanks for stopping by my corner of Katy. I replied to your comment there but wanted to leave it here too. The best advice I can give you - since I'm not an experienced veggie gardener - is to check out the information available through the Texas AgriLife Extension Service. The Harris County and Fort Bend County Master Gardeners are excellent sources of information and advice.http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu

    ReplyDelete